For outer cover:
- All purpose flour 1 cup
- Prabhat Ghee 1 tablespoon
- Salt a pinch
- Water 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup Mawa
- 4 Cashew nuts, chopped
- 4 Almonds, chopped
- 12-15 Raisins
- Desiccated coconut, 1 tablespoon
- Cardamom powder 1/4 teaspoon
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- Prabhat Ghee for frying
- First make the stuffing. Heat mawa in a pan on medium heat.
- Keep stirring continuously and it will start to melt.
- Cook till it becomes light brown, turn off the stove. It took me 3-4 minutes.
- Remove it to a bowl. So it gets cool down faster.
- Make the dough while mawa is cooling.
- Mix all purpose flour and salt, drizzle Prabhat ghee and rub it into flour using your fingertips.
- It will give you a breadcrumb like texture.
- Start adding little water at a time. Mould into stiff and smooth dough. Cover it and let it rest for 15 min.
- When mawa is warm to touch, add sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg, cashews, almonds and raisins.
- Please make sure that mawa is warm & not hot. If it is hot then sugar will start to melt and stuffing will be runny and paste like.
- Mix it well. It is better to use your fingertip to break all the lumps and to mix thoroughly.
- Now start shaping the gujiya.
- Knead the dough once again and divide it into 10 equal portions. Roll into a smooth ball and flatten it between your palms.
- Work with one flatten disc at a time. Roll into a 4-inch diameter circle using a rolling pin and rolling board.
- Put about a tablespoon stuffing in the centre and apply little water around the edges using your finger or you can use a brush.
- Fold it into a half circle. Seal the edges by pressing it. If you have gujiya moulds then use that.
- Using a fork it will do two things, give it a nice design and seal it tightly. If it is not sealed properly it can open up while frying and make a mess.
- Make all the gujiya and keep them covered with a kitchen towel to prevent it from drying out.
- When about to finish shaping, heat the Prabhat ghee in pan on medium heat for frying.
- Once it is hot enough, then fry few at a time, flip or move in between for even browning.
- When it is golden brown and crispy from all sides, use the slotted spoon to remove it.
- Cool until it becomes nice and crispy.