- Coconut (Fresh or frozen) 1/2 cup, grated
- Jaggery 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder 1/4 teaspoon
For outer cover:
- Fine sooji or semolina or rava 1/2 cup
- Water 1/2 cup
- Prabhat Milk 1/2 cup
- Prabhat Ghee 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt 1 Teaspoon
- First make the stuffing. Take coconut and jaggery in a pan. Turn the heat on medium.
- Mix it well. Here I am using frozen shredded coconut, that’s why you see the big lumps here.
- But as it heats up, the jaggery will start to melt and coconut will also starts to loosen up.
- After couple of minutes when everything is well blended, keep stirring and cooking and add cardamom powder.
- Cook till the mixture becomes dry. It took me altogether 6-7 minutes. Do not cook it for long time otherwise it becomes chewy. Turn off the stove and keep it side to cool.
- While stuffing is cooling, make the dough for outer layer. Take sooji in a pan on low-medium heat.
- Dry roast it with stirring constantly.
- Roast till it starts to change its colour slightly. Make sure that it does not get burn.
- Remove it on a plate.
- Now in a pan take water and Prabhat Milk. Turn the heat on medium.
- Add Prabhat ghee and mix.
- Let the mixture come to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling add roasted sooji.
- Immediately start mixing it. It will thin and pasty.
- Within a minute or two, it will start to thicken up.
- Keep stirring and cooking.
- Till it comes together like a dough. It will take only 2-3 minutes.
- Remove it to a plate. Let it cool down slightly.
- As soon as you can handle the mixture, spread it on plate. So you can start kneading.
- It should be hot or warm. Do not let it cool down for longer, otherwise you won’t get the smooth dough.
- Keep kneading till you get smooth and non-sticky dough. If you feel too hot, then you can dip your hand in the water and continue kneading process.
- To shape the modak, grease the mould using ghee. Take small ball and insert into the mould.
- Using your finger, press it tightly and make hollow centre.
- Fill the centre using the stuffing mixture.
- Now close the open part using little dough by pressing it. Make sure that it is sealed properly.
- Carefully open the mould.
- Remove the modak and place it on the plate. Continue shaping all the modak.